The Thames clubhouse, designed by HT Sugden, was opened in 1879. Originally it was intended only for summer use. Nevertheless it included all the essentials: a great hall; a bar; a changing room; and four bays of boat storage downstairs.
As winter training became standard, changes were needed. A changing room extension with hot showers was added in 1931; in 1961 the veranda was enclosed with glass and timber to give some much needed insulation; and pre-fabricated sheds housing a rowing tank and a gym were built behind the clubhouse.
With the arrival of the women, another changing room was of course needed. Initially this was provided next door at Imperial College BC by means of a connecting bridge, but finally in 1990 the women got their own changing room at Thames.
In 2005, the club completed a major expansion, with the opening of the Burrough Building (named after the club’s late president and benefactor Alan Burrough CBE), providing spacious new gymnasium, weight training, treatment and workshop facilities.
In 2011, another project completely overhauled the bar and social areas of the clubhouse, including the veranda and a new balcony, providing a warm, bright and welcoming environment. Living accommodation for staff was also added, as was a wheelchair-accessible toilet.
In 2015, the main entrance to the clubhouse was rebuilt, giving much more space and adding a wheelchair lift.
TRC now has a decent claim to having one of the finest rowing clubhouses in the world.